"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Saturday, February 16, 2013

Battling the Bug

Winter is, of course, a notoriously bad time of year when viruses and other bugs travel around freely making people feel miserable.  I usually do pretty well each year but not this year!  We were in the Dells the second weekend in January to celebrate Ian's 11th birthday and maybe it was the high moisture level in the water park or maybe it was something else.  At any rate, I got up on Monday with a tickle in my throat that developed into a pretty deep, rumbling cough.  Timing was horrible as we were planning to leave Wednesday to drive to New Orleans where we were going to catch a cruise ship.  By the time Wednesday rolled around, my sinuses were inflamed, my throat was raw, and I had no voice, in addition to the continual coughing and sneezing.

We had a good drive to New Orleans and, by the time we got there, all 4 of us were coughing and downing big quantities of Nyquil, etc.  As a matter of fact, on Friday 3 of the 4 of us ended up staying in bed all day sleeping (in our hotel in New Orleans).  Although we were permitted to board the ship, we had to fill out a health questionnaire and get checked out by a nurse.  (for additional details on the trip, visit my travel blog:  http://castleswavesandvolcanoes.blogspot.com/

It's now 4 weeks later, and I've continued to fight one additional symptom after another while supporting Vicks and all of their cough and cold products.  This included a week in Las Vegas (where the dry desert air did finally succeed in driving out the bronchitis).  Now in Florida, I continued to struggle on our drive down but this morning, after still more medicine and a good night's sleep, I think I may finally be on the mend.  Didn't have to get up even once in the night to cough or blow my nose or take more medicine.  Woo-hoo!  We have a full week here and it looks like I'm going to have some fun (once it warms up here)!

No comments:

Post a Comment