"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Friday, July 22, 2011

Unbelievable Weather


Mini sunflowers "planted" by the birds
This has been the worst summer (for people and animals).  June was very chilly and rainy most of the time; July has been extremely hot and humid.  My tomatoes and other hot-loving plants are going crazy -- which is really great.  Also, the high humidity brings rain almost every day in some fashion or another.  My hydrangeas are big and beautiful, but tend to wither in the late afternoon sun; apparently, they don't like it any better than we do.  The butterfly garden is growing like crazy and something really cool:  all of those sunflower seeds dropped by the birds have sprung into mini-sunflowers (about 2-3 feet high).  Today, they're in bloom.
One of my pink hydrangeas.

The special sunflower cultivars that Steve & Stacy sent for Mother's Day are at heights from 2 1/2 feet up to over 5 feet high right now.  They all have blooms (some have multiple blooms!), and I'm just waiting for them to open.

Overall, I'm really pleased with my gardening success so far this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment