"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 Start

This has been an incredibly unsettling year already -- and it's only 3 days old! 

I was asked to stay with Kohl's (part-time) and I'm pretty pleased about that -- even though it may only be one night a week.  [Tonight will be my one night this week.]  Working one night a week actually ends up with a little more income (Kohl's pay + unemployment) than if I was just getting unemployment.  Plus, I get to keep my employee discount.  Started going back to BioLife today to donate plasma; if I can go twice a week, I'll get $50 each week for that and it takes an hour to an hour-and-a-half out of the day.  Pretty good.  I went in to do some volunteer work at the library last week and to remember how to do everything since I hadn't been in there since November.

The weather has been kind of mild so most of the snow is gone.  Wish it had been really warm so we could get the outdoor Christmas lights down.  Packers made the wild-card spot so Jeff will be watching football this weekend, but maybe he can get the decorations in at some point.  I haven't even begun to put things away inside.

We spent the weekend in Rice Lake.  Mom has had to quit her job entirely to be home to take care of Dad -- that's a job that she really loves with people that are friends.  Having gone through it, I understand how wrenching that can be.  My Dad contracted pneumonia again this year, but it has had an incredibly debilitating affect on his health this time.  He has lost quite a lot of weight because he just doesn't eat, is very weak, and needs constant care.  Then, his tooth started hurting so bad that he can't chew!  There were good moments and bad moments over the weekend as the antibiotics kicked in and the pain medication wore off.  It is impossible to even describe the feelings as I watched him struggle to eat or walk.  This is the man who fed me and helped me learn to walk and would have scaled mountains if I had asked.  I'm planning to go back over for another visit on Thursday and maybe Mom and I can do some organizing projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment