"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Packers Game

I'm not a real avid football fan...and maybe that's actually putting it mildly.  When I go to a Packers game or watch it on TV, I do cheer for our team.  But, otherwise, I don't know the names of players or coaches or anything about the rest of the NFL.  Now that I think about it, I don't even know if the Packers are part of the AFC or NFC.  Well, whatever.

For some unknown reason, I decided to watch the game on Monday Night Football last night.  Jeff is out of town so I had the entire house and every television to myself, but I still ended up turning on the game part way through the first quarter.  Initially, I was mostly interested in the fact that they were playing in Seattle in the stadium that I just saw a month ago when we were there prior to heading to Alaska.  From the top of the ferris wheel out on the pier in Seattle, you have a really good view of the stadium.

Anyway, the game wasn't particularly good and I was primarily interested in watching the actions of the replacement refs that are being used this season while the NFL and the official's union try to come to some sort of agreement on whatever it is they don't agree on.  As I keep hearing, the refs were quite bad and made unknown number of poor calls, in addition to the fact that the game goes on FOREVER because of the number of fouls that are called.  I think there really are a lot of fouls because the players are pretty much out of control with bad playing and fighting.  I imagine it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured.

The end of the game, though, will be talked about for the rest of the season.  Blogs and social media sites lit up with comments, and ESPN has been focusing almost exclusively on the game in general (with the multiple bad calls), the lack of credentials and experience of the refs being utilized, and the really, really bad call that cost the Packers the game.  Maybe Seattle deserved to win the game because their defense really did play well during the whole game.  But no one likes to lose like that!

On the plus side, the jokes and cartoons that have occurred are awesome.  They started to appear literally within minutes of the end of the game.


And one of my favorite Twitter posts:
"Mr. Tate please walk us through how you scored a touchdown by committing a penalty and not catching the football"

No comments:

Post a Comment