"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The best laid schemes of mice and men / Go oft awry

I had it all planned out:  working days at Target and nights (10p - 6a) at Kohl's.  It's only for a few weeks and it wouldn't be 8 hours at each place every single day anyway.

So, I sat through my Orientation at Target this morning.  Lots of policy and safety stuff, and a big push to keep the unions out (with which I agree).  Then, I got my training schedule and immediately hit a snag.  The good news:  I have both this Saturday and next Saturday free so Anna's birthday party and going to Rice Lake after Thanksgiving are safe (so far -- I still have to meet with Kohl's this evening).  But, I'm scheduled to work next Tuesday night when the Christmas parade is in Appleton and Ian is in the parade, so I need to try to change that.  Additionally, I'm scheduled to work 'til 11 one night, which would overlap my Kohl's start time.

It seemed like such a good plan at the beginning and already I need to be a pain to the scheduler and start asking for changes.  I really want both jobs, but I'm not going to miss out on family stuff.

Turns out that Target has a dress code, too -- which I should have realized after being in the store a thousand times:  khaki pants and a red shirt (with no writing on it).  Khaki pants I have, but I'm astonished that I had no red shirts at all.  So, I had to immediately buy some red tops today, but I got a 15% discount so I guess that helps.

All of the people in the Orientation class this morning were really nice -- the trainers and the other trainees.  I think it's going to be a great place to work.  And you should see the very tiny pin-hole cameras that they use in that store for security in addition to the larger ones that are pretty obvious in the globes overhead.  Pretty cool!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think they should have scheduled you without at least talking to you. Weird. Good luck for tonight.

    When is your first day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fault, really, with the scheduling snafu. When I originally filled out the applications online (late October), I said that I could work any hours of any day. There was no way to say, "depending on which day it is" and I thought I'd have a better chance of getting hired if I was flexible. Since then, of course, things have changed (two job offers). They've been so unbelievably nice about everything so far, though, that I just don't think it will be an issue. I start my actual training tomorrow (9-5) and it's all paid time, as was today.

    ReplyDelete