"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kohl's

I filed for unemployment on Monday (by phone) and got a statement in the mail today already telling me that I'm eligible for $363 per week.  I think that's a pretty good amount -- I'll certainly miss my salary, but that's better than nothing at all.

I had also filled out an employment application online for Kohl's (since they hire so much seasonal help) and was called in to a group interview yesterday.  It's a bit weird to be answering questions in a group setting -- there were 7 of us.  Then, I got a call last night asking me to come in today for a 1-on-1 with the assistant manager.  Everything went really well and I filled out the necessary paperwork for them to do a background check, etc.  I suppose they don't want people who will rip off the store, especially since I volunteered for the 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. shift.  That will entail unloading and shelving merchandise for sale the next day -- but it won't include working with customers and I see that as a real bonus with the holiday shoppers that will be coming in.  I'm guessing that it will also mean a more casual (and warmer) dress and it pays a bit more.

Here's the really interesting part, though:  the store manager mentioned that she'll be leaving at the end of the year because she's been given her own store (to manage).  I congratulated her and asked where and...wait for it...it's in Rice Lake!  I told her that my parents live in Rice Lake and everyone is chomping at the bit for the store to open.  She mentioned that she had lived in Rice Lake for 15 years and we started talking neighborhoods.  I said that my folks live at 419 E. Gates Street and she said she had lived at...wait for it...406 E. Gates Street.  We talked about the guy building the house next door to Mom and Dad AND she knows Tracy and (what's her name?) -- I always forget her name.  Anyway, the coincidence was unbelievable!!  The store will be opening in the spring, by the way.

The only real downside is the fact that this will kill my Thanksgiving.  They aren't going to hire me if I can't work at least one of the nights of the Thanksgiving weekend, so I put on my application that I could definitely work one but not both.  Sure hope that I still get the job offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment