"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Monday, November 15, 2010

Slow Day

After my drug test this morning, I was at loose ends.  I did some volunteer work at the library last week, but they've asked me to hold off until I can go through a formal meeting/training session.  That may not be until Thursday of this week.  I took the drug test for Target last week, but have heard nothing back and, of course, the one for Kohl's was just this morning.  I hate being in a "holding pattern".  Then, to add just a little humiliation to the mix, I got a letter from the unemployment people telling me that I've been selected to participate in the Reemployment Services Program.  The purpose is to "provide you with up-to-date tools, services, and programs to help you become reemployed in today's job market."  Mandatory 3-hour session on November 30 (unless I'm working by then).

I could do some Christmas shopping, but I hate to do that if I'm going to get some discounts pretty soon.   It did occur to me that I could maybe do some holiday baking and put things in the freezer -- I may do some of that tomorrow and Wednesday.  I will go and donate plasma tomorrow and Friday ($20 each time), and I'm hoping to catch Ian's school concert Thursday night and Harry Potter either late Thursday night (midnight) or Friday.

So, today I'm finishing my annotated volume of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice.  I've read the regular version, I've listened to the audio version, I've seen every film and TV version ever made -- this is a new volume that was just released.

Here's a funny anecdote:  our neighbor is a single gentleman and a bit odd (he puts his cat on a leash and takes it for a walk around his yard).  He's a nice guy, though, and we have a friendly relationship.  I saw him out in the yard this afternoon down on his knees trimming the grass along his sidewalk with a pair of shears.  I went out and asked if he'd like to borrow our sidewalk trimmer; it's not electric but would be a lot faster than using shears.  He thanked me and said that he had an electric one, but preferred the look of it when cut by hand with shears.  Total whack job!

No comments:

Post a Comment