"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Friday, November 19, 2010

First Complete Day of Work

So, my first shift at Target yesterday from 9 -5, followed by my first shift at Kohl's from 10 p.m. - 6 a.m.  It's now 6:34 a.m. and I'm pretty beat.  My feet are killing me and I don't have time to sleep because I have to be back at Target by 9 a.m. again.  Today will only be until 2 so I should be in bed and asleep by 4 or 5.

This is really interesting work, though.  I am absolutely shocked beyond belief at how much stuff is in the back part of a store.  It's also totally crowded and, sometimes, not even unpacked yet but leaving a store without asking if there's more in the back would be a big mistake!  The really great thing about being at Kohl's is the fact that there are no customers so, on breaks, you can wander around and look at stuff.  This weekend is an employee discount weekend so I'll get my normal 15% employee discount, plus a special 15% discount because it's employee weekend (I signed on just in time), and I think I can also use my 15% pick-a-day that I've been saving.  All of that on top of the sales going on!  I found a couple of things in the store tonight and put them on hold in the back room so they'll be available when I want to shop on Sunday.

Can't have my cell phone while working (although I keep it in my pocket to check the time and I can check emails on break).  No eating while working, and only water can be brought along while working.  Everybody I've met at both stores is really nice, and I'm hoping to make a ton of money while also saving a lot of money on Christmas items.

Here's the best part:  I don't have to be in charge, I don't have to be responsible for other people, and I go home when the shift is over without bringing work home with me.

Oh, almost forgot to mention:  I wore my pedometer today, putting it on just before I left for Target this morning and taking it off after I got home from Kohl's this morning.  Results:  14.79 miles (31,237 steps).  I'd like to think that this job will help me lose weight, but the downside of staying up all night is the need to eat once in a while.  I gotta believe that walking that much has to have a positive impact, though.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome on the miles. Good for you! Anna and I are making a trip to Kohls today to scope some things out for Christmas. I told Anna that Grandma might get her a new dress for Christmas and she was super excited about that. She doesn't have many long sleeve dresses so she keeps wearing long sleeve shirts under her ones with no sleeves.

    ReplyDelete