"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Thursday, November 4, 2010

Master Gardener Program

I'm hoping that I'll have more time to work on my gardens -- both flowers and vegetables -- this next summer.  I really love the gardens in England and the way the flowers are grouped together in small spaces.  It seems that everyone goes out and putters in their gardens for a bit every day.  Loving hydrangeas, I need to learn more about how to get them the colors that I want, as well as cultivating my other perennials.

Stacy went through a course of study to become a Master Gardener, so I went to the website for the UW-Extension and got the papers to begin the course this next January (http://www.ocmga.net/).  The course starts in January and runs 'til the latter part of April -- one night a week for 3+ hours per night (plus volunteer work).  I had no idea that it would be so extensive, but I'm looking forward to it.
Topics included in General Training:
Soils and Fertility
Houseplants / Herbs
Compost / Backyard Wildlife
Vegetables / Fruit Trees
Weeds / Invasives
Seed Starting / Perennials / Garden Designing
Insect Control (this will be particularly good for my tomatoes and herbs)
Landscape Design
Trees & Shrubs
Lawns

By April, I should be ready to go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment