"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Job Offer

I had filled out an online application for Target a couple of weeks ago, and got a call on Monday asking me to come in for an interview yesterday.  It was actually two interviews:  two team members ask a bunch of questions and, then, separately offer a recommendation to the manager.  This morning, the manager of the store called and offered me a job, conditioned on passing the drug test.  So, I went to the testing center and, maybe for the first time in my life, couldn't produce enough of the required substance (pee).  So, I waited around reading magazines and drinking water until I could finally accomplish the task.  I think they'll produce the results yet this week so I might be starting next week already -- if I get positive results, of course. ;-)

There are some real pros and cons to think about:

  • Target would have me working days / Kohl's would be overnight
  • Target would give a 10% discount & 5% if I use the "red" card / Kohl's is 15% discount
  • I do more shopping at Target so the discount there would make more sense
  • Target is definitely planning to keep people on after the holiday / Kohl's made no promises
  • Target is a tad further to drive, but not significantly
  • Both Target and Kohl's know that I can only work one of the days of Thanksgiving weekend
  • A night job would be more convenient for upcoming social things:  Anna's BD party, Ian's schl concert and the Holiday parade.  Not sure that the concert or parade would necessarily be affected, though.

Here's the really interesting part:  I would make more on unemployment than I'll make at either job so I could just sit at home and collect money.  However, I'm kind of bored already with just sitting home and I think I'd like to be out among people. While I know I couldn't quit and still keep collecting unemployment, there's nothing saying that I need to seek full-time work after this seasonal gig is over.

Late in the day addition:  Got a call from Kohl's tonight apologizing for the delay in getting back to me with an official job offer.  Seems that they're having a problem with the computers and the background checks haven't come through.  They wanted to have us working already this week and are hoping that I'm still interested in the night position.  Here's a crazy thought:  what if I could figure out a way to do both the job at Kohl's and the job at Target!  Talk about your holiday discounts!

2 comments:

  1. I think you should really want to do it...not just do it out of boredom. Go join a gym or take some art classes somewhere or something for that.

    But if you honestly want to, go for it. But remember that ALL retail jobs get annoyingly retail after a while. So if there's a place that you think you'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE (*cough* Barnes & Noble, Hobby Lobby, library *cough cough*) to work, hold out for something more fun. This should be the time in your life that you wait for a fun or unique opportunity. Plus, you're going to be a good worker, so I'm sure they'll be wanting you to work 30 to 35 hours a week in no time. Be careful of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I hear you. Funny that I could simply collect unemployment and do fun things, but I really feel like I want to do this. I worked for the Census this past summer and loved it because it was so amazingly different from working in an office. I'm thinking the same thing about retail: I've never done it but find myself straightening shelves and helping people when I'm in stores anyway so why not get paid for it?! And the discounts will come in really handy for Christmas. As far as fun stuff, I'm going to the library tomorrow to talk to the Volunteer Coordinator so I can start doing volunteer work there. This is all geared toward having fun stuff to do during the winter. I may drop all of it when summer comes, but we'll see. And I'll start my Master Gardener classes in January.

    ReplyDelete