"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Random Musings

After several days of really cold weather, we got a break today.  It started out cold, of course -- it is November after all -- but the wind has gone away, the sun was out, and I think we might have gotten up into the 50s today.  It was a beautiful drive home from Rice Lake and I pulled into a driveway completely full of big yellow maple leaves.  Of course, the entire front lawn was covered with leaves as well.  As I had mentioned in an earlier post, our trees (at least those in the front) seem to drop their leaves well after every other tree on the street has finished.  How timely that Jeff is sitting in South Dakota today watching football and drinking beer while I was outside raking the leaves into the street.  We have a blower but I don't have the first clue how to start it.


After my grueling effort of raking the mountains of leaves into the street for the City crew to pick up, I decided I deserved a nice hot bath with some nice smelling bath salts and (believe it or not) my little laptop on a tray in the tub.  I know:  totally ridiculous.  After a few minutes, I closed the computer and simply put some good music on my ipod and relaxed.  


I'm sure there are lots of injuries worse than mine -- I have an infected cuticle on my right hand.  It has gotten progressively worse over the weekend to the point where I was actually unable to open a bottle with my right hand today because of the pain in my finger.  Really?!  I feel like such a baby.  Anyway, I decided that soaking my hand and, then, biting the bullet and shoving a needle into the infected area would eliminate a trip to the doctor.  Therefore, that nice, hot bath was actually a medical necessity.  I had no anesthetic on hand, but a chilled bottle of white wine seemed to do the trick just fine.

I'm catching up on some recorded TV shows while doing this blog and just caught a commercial for the football game this evening between the Packers and Cowboys.  Why are the Dallas Cowboys still called "America's Team"?  How many people outside of Texas really care about them any more -- other than the law enforcement community?


How many clocks do people really need?  When the time changes for daylight savings and back to standard time, you realize how many clocks you have.  We have two in the bedroom, two in the computer room (plus the ones on the computers), one in the guest room, one in the upstairs bathroom, 3 in the kitchen, 1 in the dining room, 1 out near the hot tub, and 1 in the living room plus the timer on the thermostat.  The computers and phones (both cordless and mobile) reset themselves as do the DirecTV units, but it's a lot of resetting otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment