"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Picking up Speed

As expected, after waiting for days with nothing to do, I'm getting everything together all at once.  That generally happens this time of year anyway, I guess.

So, I got an email from the Target HR department this morning telling me that I'm scheduled for training this Friday at 9 a.m.  I'm really pretty excited about that, actually, as Target means working days and that's the place that may continue to hire after the holidays.  It's not Barnes & Noble, but I've always liked Target and it seems like a good place to work.  Fortunately, then, I could call the unemployment people and get taken off that list for placement training.  I think it might have been kind of amusing to sit through -- just to see what it is they do to train people, but the job got me out of it.

I had some plasma donation appointments that had to be moved, and Anna's birthday party is Saturday so I have to make sure that I'm not scheduled to work that day.  Haven't heard back from Kohl's, but I expect the results of that drug test to be delivered soon and I'll find out when I have to go in for their training.  I've decided to try to do both jobs -- it will be like going from famine to feast, but just for 6 weeks or so.  Neither place works Thanksgiving, so I'll get my holiday for sure.  Not sure if holiday pay is included -- probably not, but I'll still be able to file for my unemployment to make up the difference each week.

I'm finding this to be an interesting journey.  Having been a salaried office worker for 30+ years, I have no experience with this type of work environment and I'm enjoying the differences.

1 comment:

  1. You started this blog just in time. You better keep up with the writing even between your two jobs.

    ReplyDelete