"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere beyond the morning." - J.B. Priestly


Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Starting at the Beginning

In J. K. Rowling's incredibly popular Harry Potter series, a pensieve is a container in which to revisit one's thoughts and memories.  When a wizard's head is simply too stuffed with thoughts, the memory is withdrawn and stored in a bottle.  Then, when the memory is to be revisited, it is poured into the pensieve.  What a wonderful idea!  Instead of losing these wonderful thoughts and memories, we simply pull them out and revisit them at our leisure.

My hope is to do something similar with this blog.  There are so many things that happen every day -- some of them are trivial and some are things that you'd want to remember.  Back in the "old" days, we kept diaries and journals -- writing things out by hand.  With technology, keeping a journal is easier than ever before.


So, today's thoughts:  my job with HNI ended October 31 and I filed for unemployment on Monday, November 1.  Additionally, though, I applies for a seasonal position with Kohl's and had a first (group) interview this afternoon.  This evening, I got a phone call asking me to come back in tomorrow for a follow-up.  I volunteered to work the night shift (10 p.m. to 6 a.m.) which pays a bit more and fits more into my life style.  Not a big fan of getting up early.  I also put in an application to volunteer at the public library.  Without being tied to a work schedule any more, I really want to branch out and do other things.  In January, I'm going to start a course of study to become a Master Gardener.

I have to say, though, that I'm a little concerned because I'm in such terrible shape.  It's interesting that I had almost no leg or foot pain during my trip to England even though I was doing so much walking every day.  I had such good shoes, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to wear those for work.  If so, everything should be fine and I'm hoping that the activity will help me get back into better shape and lose some weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment